UI Designer Salary: How Much Does a UI Designer Earn?
In this article
Whoever coined the phrase “the customer is king” knew what he was talking about. Every business constantly tries to create products that appeal to customers. Without customer reach and approval, the best of ideas can go to waste, and customer approval depends to a great extent on how a product looks and feels. In fact, the first look of a product can go a long way in creating a positive impression with customers. When it comes to how a product looks and feels along with how the user interface (UI) of the product is designed this is the most critical aspect of consideration.
That’s exactly why UI designer salary is always at the higher end. With more and more people making use of technology to fulfil everyday needs, making apps and websites, fluid and attractive through cutting-edge user interface design is the need of the hour. Given this scenario, there couldn’t be a better time than today to explore opportunities in this field. So, if you’ve always wondered what a career in UI design would be like, this blog post is for you. In this blog, we are going to introduce you to some key aspects of the UI designer job.
How much is a UI Designer Salary?
In any field, how much an individual earns depends on a lot of factors:
- The country where the individual is working
- The organisation where he/she is working
- The criticality of the UI designer’s role to that project
If you search across the internet for answers to “how much does a UI designer make,” you’ll probably get a lot of high varying answers. Basing your decision of whether to take up this field as your career could become very challenging in such a scenario.
Hence, to help you out we’ve done the work for you and compiled an average base salary range for UI designers across the world. This data has been sourced from several trusted online sources like Glassdoor, PayScale, and Indeed, so you can be assured of its authenticity.
- In India, a UI designer salary is approximately INR 500,000 or 6627 USD a year
- In Australia, a UI designer can make around 83,000 AUD or 53,624 USD a year
- In Canada, a UI designer can make approximately 69,000 CAD or 49,145 USD a year
- Germany pays its UI designers around 77,000 Euros or 83,197 USD a year
- UK pays its UI designers around 44,000 Pounds or 53,739 USD a year
- In the USA, UI Designers are paid approximately 76,000 USD a year
Again, the above salaries are only estimates based on submissions made anonymously to Glassdoor, Indeed, and PayScale by UI Designers across the world. Exact salaries for UI Designers in your area may be different.
In addition to the country you are working in, the skills you have acquired as a UI designer makes a lot of difference in deciding your pay grade. Additionally, how experienced you are in UI design or a particular high-paying skill can make an additional difference.
- An entry-level UI designer (less than 1 year of exp) can expect to earn around INR 300,000 a year.
- An early starter (1-4 years of exp) will earn approximately INR 425,000 a year.
- A UI designer with 5-9 years of exp can hope to earn about INR 720,000 a year.
- An experienced UI designer with 10-15 years of experience will earn INR 900,000 and above.
The above data has been sourced from PayScale.
Which UI Designer Skills can make a Difference to your Salary?
There are several skills needed for a high-paying job opportunity. To ensure that you’re being paid adequately and at par with your peers, you must acquire skills that are expected by employers. In user interface design, the following additional skills can prove to be salary boosters for you:
- Adobe Photoshop – if you acquire this skill, you can extract 3% higher salary than a UI designer who doesn’t have this skill
- User Experience (UX) design – if you’re experienced in UX design in addition to UI design, your salary will bump up by almost 21% as compared to a UI designer who isn’t experienced in the UX design field (learn what UX designers do here).
- Adobe Illustrator – if you acquire this skill, your salary will be 1% higher than a UI designer who isn’t familiar with this skill
These statistics have been sourced from PayScale.
Why is UI Design Important for Business?
A well-designed user interface enables using an application easy for end-users. It takes aesthetics, efficiency, responsiveness, and accessibility into consideration while ensuring the product has a consistent layout and top-notch graphics. Good UI Design plays a key role in:
1. Attracting Traction & Engaging Users
For any business, understanding what works for users is critical. Good user interface design understands that when a new visitor uses an app for the first time, does he stay or leave. Secondly, engaging users to dig further into the app without making navigation too difficult is also imperative. Good UI design can play a major role in this.
2. Keep users coming back to your app or product
Great UI and UX design is the secret of keeping your users coming back to your product or application every day. UI design can help you gain insights into customer interaction with the app which you can work on to make a huge impact with your user base.
3. Growing your business
When users are satisfied, your business grows. Having fluid UI design in your application can ensure existing users stay engaged and new users are attracted towards the app. When you’re able to retain your existing user base while also expanding it further, naturally, your business will witness significant growth.
Since you’re here…
Looking to launch your career in design? In our UI/UX Design Bootcamp, you’ll work 1-on-1 with industry experts to build job-ready skills – on your schedule. 99.5% of our graduates are fully employed in design within 12 months of graduation, and our student reviews back us up. Get dabbling today with our free UI/UX design curriculum. When you’re ready for a job, we’re here.